Tom and I.

Tom and I.
Taken at The Arcade Fire show in Hyde Park, London.

15 December 2011

The Blind Pig (pub)-- 233 East 14th Street, New York, NY (Union Square area)

I actually discovered the Blind Pig by accident.  Being no stranger to the Union Square part of Manhattan, I was sick of my same old haunt... mainly the Heartland Brewery.  So, my buddy Tommy and I had a bit of a walk to find some different places.  One of our old bars has since closed (and I really never even knew the name of it!).  We found the "Pig" after going into a ratty Irish-styled pub (with outrageously priced beers $6.50!).  So we finished up and hit the Pig.  FYI, "A Blind Pig" was the name used for establishments that you could get a drink during prohibition.

I chose the Pig because of one reason, the Arsenal Football Club flag hanging prominently out front.  Score.  Going in, the bar is typical American Oak-- bar and wood flooring.  There are many TVs and it's a fairly large place (definitely packed on Gunners game days).  We chose to sit at the bar.

Well, the biggest decision we needed to make was the beer list.  It's not huge, but it's a list of carefully chosen beers (some that I haven't seen in the USA before).  However, if you want that Coors Light-- this place won't let you down either.  The bartender, "Roz" was very attentive and talkative.  She mentioned it was her first day.  He only fault all night was taking my empty pint and not offering me another!  Oh well, we all mess up sometimes!

After perusing the menu as I normally do, I was very surprised not to see some staples that should be on a pub menu touting English Football.  Mainly, bangers and mash, roasts, pies (meat), or even a Full-English breakfast.  Oh well, that aside... it's not bad at all.

The menu consists of all the usual suspects at an American bar.  Wings, mozz sticks, sandwiches and a few larger plates.  Being it was going to be a long night, I decided to grab a burger.  They asked how I wanted it-- rare as always (a great sign as usual).  The kicker with this burger was that it was served on a pretzel roll, American cheese and with honey mustard (which gave the burger and roll a perfect contrast).  I like pretzel rolls because they don't fall apart when eating a juicy burger (I urge you to try one if you see it on a menu).  The fries or chips were of the waffle variety, which we cooked nicely and they're always fun to eat (Burger $12).

My buddy Tom opted for the only traditionally English menu item-- fish and chips.  Whilst I didn't eat any (he forgot to offer), he stated that the haddock was fried to perfection and that the batter had a nice flavor.  Another small disappointment was the lack of malt vinegar at the table, which is a necessity to have with fish and chips!  Oh well, don't sweat the little things in life (Fish and Chips $12).

Overall, the bill came to a non-so-whopping $60 + tip.  This wasn't bad, considering we stuck around for about two hours.  I'd like to also point out that Happy Hour beers are -$2 until 8pm each day... bargain!  So, if you find yourself in the Whole Foods and can't take any more.... walk your butt over a couple blocks and hit a really solid establishment.  Word to the wise, if you don't like soccer, you might be in trouble on game day.... you've been warned!  :)


The Blind Pig 








No comments:

Post a Comment