Tom and I.

Tom and I.
Taken at The Arcade Fire show in Hyde Park, London.

29 February 2012

Sutton's Market Place, Country Cafe -- Queensbury, NY

Hi folks,
I apologize in my lack of interest for this blog lately.  The fact of the matter is, I have been too busy to write... however, given this snowy evening, it seemed like the perfect time to throw some words down.

We've all found ourselves off of Northway (I-87) exit 20 at one time or another.  You might ask, "which one?"  It's the one that houses the Great Escape and hits the Southern Shores of "The Queen of American Lakes,"  Lake George (odd it's not the "King" seeing it was named after George III).  Anyway, most of my female readers and some of my male readers also know too well that there are some serious shopping outlets up there.  I found myself browsing the likes of Donna Karan, Kenneth Cole, Guess and Banana Republic (all highly recommended, if you wear more than t-shirts and jeans).  However, as you all know, shopping can drive men crazy and furthermore, make us want to eat a nice meal afterwards.

Sutton's Market Place is a one of a kind property that is located just south on US Rt. 9 past the Great Escape (it's on the left if you're going south).  Sutton's isn't really a restaurant, but the cafe is more of an accessory to the main shop (think the Macy's food court in NYC).  However, the similarities with Macy's end there.

The store sells the odd, hard to find, clothing, and just plain big stuff (they have a large furniture gallery-- high quality, if you're in the market).  They also have an on-site bakery that churns out attractive pies, muffins, cookies, etc.  It is also a knick knack shop... plenty of breakables here, so if you have kids, best watch them carefully... this stuff isn't exactly cheap!  

Okay, but why I go there is because of the food not the knick knacks and furniture.  I have been to Sutton's on several occasions when I find myself in the neighborhood.  I like this place along with The Sweet Basil (a great local Italian a bit further south), as opposed to the crappy chains that are in Queensbury proper.

Being as I wasn't hungry, I chose to split a sandwich with my partner in crime and each get our own cup of onion soup.  The menu consists of mostly sandwiches, burgers and also breakfast items if you get there early enough.  They also offer larger meals and specials, and are open late-ish (8pm) on Thursdays and Fridays for dinner.  

Okay, the Onion Soup ($4.25-- a bargain) came out first.  I am a stickler when it comes to this soup.  If the broth is salty, it's made from the dreaded bullion cubes (cringes).  This is how you can tell if the chef actually made the stock from scratch or not.  All my doubts were cast aside (not that I had any!) when I pulled, bay leaves (yes, two) from my cup.  This assures you that you're not messing around with the fake stuff.  The flavor was great.  The only downside is the bread they used.  Fail.  I am used to a nice toasted baguette chunk hovering on top, and under the cheese.  The bread here, was... ?  Wheat perhaps?  I am not sure... but in all honestly, a technicality should not scare you from ordering this item.

The sandwich we ordered was a Montecristo ($7.95).  This was served on wheat bread (dipped in egg wash and fried) and consisted of: ham, bacon, turkey, and cranberry sauce.  Once again, the sandwich was nice.  However, I saw some inconsistencies that could easily be cured.  I prefer my Montecristos on challah bread, with raspberry and powdered sugar over the top... this adds a certain sweet and savory mix.  However, it was more than edible and I enjoyed it (and probably healthier). 

Drinks?  There is a nice wine list (small, but good enough for a little cafe).  Each of these wines are in the $20-25 range.  In addition, there is a well thought out beer selection (maybe six or seven) that float around the $5 range.  The sodas entitle you to free refills, a really nice touch.  I hate places that charge you for what amounts to pennies in cost to them!

Okay, dessert.  We decided to order some cheesecake backed by nuns at the New Skete Monastery in Washington County, NY.  This monastery also is world renowned for training and the sale of German Shepherds (Alsatians), which are sold as adults and quite expensive!  I saw this place featured on 60 Minutes a while back. 

The cheesecake they had on offer this trip was Chocolate Amaretto.  Wow.  It was like a miracle in my mouth (can the dirty jokes).  I cannot describe how good and rich it was.  A sliver, at $4-6 bucks (I can't remember exactly and didn't write that down) was so rich, it's all you need!  If you see this on a local place's menu, BUY IT!  They also offer them on mail order.

 So, if you guys find yourselves in the 'hood and famished.... skip the dumpy chains and come to this classy cafe.  You will enjoy it, I promise.... just make sure your companion doesn't like knick knacks... or you might be there for a long time.

Happy eating and traveling!   Farewell, until next time.....


TT/FF

 Sutton's Market Place

New Skete Monastery

No comments:

Post a Comment